Research Coordinator I/II

Sep 27 2022

The Africa Regional Office (AFR) of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to fill the position of Research Coordinator I/II. This position is a two-year, renewable appointment with the option of being based at either IFPRI’s office in Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya. The Research Coordinator will coordinate research, capacity-building, and outreach activities in different African countries to provide tested options for creating innovative, digitally savvy livelihood opportunities for youth, especially young women, while reducing post-harvest losses across agri-food systems in Africa. The final grade level for this position will be determined by demonstrated experience

The successful candidate will coordinate research, capacity building, and outreach activities conducted by researchers across IFPRI’s various Divisions and Country Offices involving: (i) scoping reviews on post-harvest management, youth livelihoods, market access and digital skills using a gender lens; (ii) strategic analysis on food systems transformation and market inclusion and governance; (iii) programmatic research on post-harvest food losses, youth livelihoods, access to markets, and digital innovations; and (iv) technical assistance on measurement and development of indicators and assessment tools. The coordinator will also lead/conduct some components of the research activities on food systems transformation including ecosystem mapping of key actors along different value chains, changing food system dynamics, inclusive market development, etc.

It is anticipated that about 70 percent of the job will be dedicated to coordinating research, capacity-building, and outreach activities, and the remaining 30 percent will be allocated to leading/conducting research.

Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:

Advises and assists researchers and other professional staff to manage research programs.

Support survey design, implementation, and reporting.

Support the dissemination and publication of research results in policy briefs and other targeted publications

Writes and edits reports, papers, policy briefs, and journal articles.

PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, Applied Economics, or a relevant field (plus at least three years of relevant post-PhD professional experience for Research Coordinator II).

Experience in developing training materials on the collection and use of gender-disaggregated data and statistics.

Demonstrated ability to synthesize results from social science research for the development community, including policy makers, policy advisers, and researchers.

Ability to interact and communicate with diverse audiences.

Ability to multi-task, work in a dynamic environment, take initiatives to resolve issues and effectively work with minimal supervision.

Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.

Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary.

Familiarity with quantitative and statistical methods for conducting policy analysis using survey-based data and techniques.

Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality written reports, journal articles, oral presentations, blog posts, and other forms of written and oral communications associated with research outputs.

Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time

Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading.

Source: IFPRI | Jobs