Young people for Zero Pollution in the Mediterranean – 1st June 2021
Do not miss this event at the EU Green Week on the 1st of June (3 to 6 p.m. CET) for a thrilling discussion focusing on the efforts of young people engaged in keeping the Mediterranean region clean and healthy.
Register now to:
- Get inspired by stories for a cleaner Mediterranean
- Discover practical solutions to keep our environment healthy
- Share your ideas to fight waste pollution
- Test your knowledge about pollution in the Mediterranean
The event will feature speakers like Nouhad Awwad, Greenpeace-MENA campaigner, Giovanni Mori, Italian spokesperson of Fridays for Future, Rim Filali Meknassi from the Union for the Mediterranean as well as environmental activists and solution providers from France, Lebanon, Palestine, etc.
Thanks to a hybrid format including online discussions and live connections on the ground, participants will be able to learn about and witness innovative solutions and initiatives that are being implemented by young talented people to address pollution.
Why this event?
2019 was a turning point in getting young people involved in climate change debates. With Greta Thunberg´s speech at the United Nations Climate Action Summit and Fridays for Future climate strike spreading all over the world, young people delivered a strong message to mainstream environment in all aspects of our lives.
Since then, the world has changed with a global health crisis and more than ever climate change has become a hot topic on the European Union agenda through the European Green Deal and is being directly linked to people’s heath. Meanwhile, the Mediterranean is still the most polluted sea in the world.
With an estimated of 33,800 plastic bottles going into the Mediterranean sea each minute, it’s time to act now and all together to reduce waste production and enhance recycling and reuse.
As the environment and pollution know no borders, more people from all over the Mediterranean should get involved to tackle this major environmental challenge. This is exactly the ambition of our event at the EU Green Week under the title “Young people as game changers for zero pollution in the Mediterranean“: showcasing that solutions exist but they need a wider engagement of current and future generations to be more effective and have a global impact at Mediterranean level.
Why should you join?
First, the event is happening during the EU Green Week, a landmark and highly visible initiative organized by the European Commission with hundreds of local events across Europe.
In addition, there are many good reasons to join our event:
- Learn how young people are taking actions for a cleaner Mediterranean
- Gain knowledge on practical solutions to address pollution reduction
- Travel through the Mediterranean and witness actual pilot initiatives implemented thanks to the support of the ENI CBC Med Programme
- Take part in a live exercise to develop solutions through a case study on pollution
- Take a quiz to test your knowledge about pollution in the Mediterranean
- Network with environmental activists from the Mediterranean region
- Show that you care about the environment by becoming a #CLEANMED ambassador (more information to come)
Who is organizing the event?
We are ‘ENI CBC Med’, the largest EU-funded Programme for Mediterranean cross-border cooperation with organizations from 14 countries working together to address common challenges in the fields of SMEs and starts-up development, sustainable tourism, innovation and technology transfer, fight against poverty and social inclusion. Environmental sustainability is central in over 20 projects out of the 62 ongoing projects. From water efficiency, waste management, energy efficiency, circular economy in economic sectors to coastal zone protection, many actions involve young people as final beneficiaries of the funded projects.
Find more information about the ENI CBC Med Programme here